View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 08:59 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by RonW View Post
Would you recommend going to a flight school and getting into a regional as fast as possible or going the collegiate route and losing another couple years of seniority? We both work and have a somewhat decent nest egg so money isn’t technically an issue. But I hate the thought of losing more than half of my GI bill benefits by going to an accelerated flight school.
Since you already have a degree, no need to commit to a university program... it will have less (as in near zero) flexibility, will take four years, and will probably cost a lot more.

I'd look for a vocational flight school... emphasis on reliability and ability to schedule consistently. In this hiring climate there are shortages of both CFI's and ASEL training planes. Bonus if it's near where you live now (or want to live). For any school, talk to current students... ambush them in the parking lot of needed. Flight school sales staff tend to be snake oil salesmen since their customers usually don't know much about what they're buying.

If you're going to commit to an airline career to age 65, why do you want to save the GI Bill? Kids?