View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 12:24 PM
BillyBob1
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Default Assessment Info

Figured i'd post some info about the assessment. I took it on Friday, and received the invite today (Wednesday).

BLUF: I think Cut-E (Cut-e tests and assessments - Airline Assessment Prep) is the best way to prep. Honestly don't think RST necessary (for the assessment). The only thing you miss out on by not doing RST is practicing the clearances.

Reaction Speed – easier than Cut-E. Blocks stay longer and are closer. Only a few different shapes. No middle things moving.

Monitoring ability – Looks more like the RST version, but the Cut-E works just fine. I saw somewhere between 4 and 14 balls throughout. Guessing game above about 9 in my opinion.

Spatial orientation – Just like Cut-E except you don’t DRAG the plane to the quadrant, you click the airplane then click the quadrant and it moves there. You can change your answer before moving on if necessary. Pick the airplane with the heading. Then you are the tail of the bearing pointer (N is straight in front of the airplane, not actually NORTH).

Multi-tasking – More like RST than Cut-E, but same concept. Top box is addition and subtraction, you must select if the equation is correct or incorrect. Next box down is maybe 8 shapes. You have to determine if there is only 1 of each shape or if there is a duplicate. Bottom box is dodging falling objects. Once you release the mouse all the objects will fall.

Complex control – Cut-E is good practice but Cut-E is ridiculously difficult in my opinion. On the actual assessment the shapes are pretty easy and theres only maybe 5 different shapes. On Cut-E you move around the tunnel by moving the mouse. On the actual assessment there is a joystick on the screen that you must click and move in order to move around the tunnel. You can either move it around with the mouse or if you have a touchscreen computer or ipad you can just use your finger (much easier in my opinion). You can also speed up and slow down by using your keyboard. It will gradually get faster and faster so I just kept my finger on the slow down button for when I thought I was going to crash. I don't think I ever got above 55% on the practice test.

Sudoku – Cut-E and RST are both good practice. Actual assessment is just as difficult if not more difficult. Mainly because the number of squares gets bigger. If I remember correctly it went to at least 6x6.

Clearances – RST is good for this. Just listening to clearances. You can listen 3 times then have to choose the correct clearance from 3 choices. They were all pretty obvious in my opinion and even if you don’t do RST but have flown recently and copied down somewhat complex clearances you should be fine. Something like “Cleared to xyz airport via blah3 departure emma transition except maintain 3000, then direct fix1 v345 fix 3 then as filed, expect FL350 10 minutes later, departure frequency 123.4, squawk 1234, expect rwy 10L”. They were all different accents so that may be the only part that’s a little difficult. I had trouble understanding one of them, but luckily the one thing I couldn’t understand was constant in every answer so wasn’t an issue. The things that were wrong were generally numbers (Squawk, freq, altitude, altimeter).

Personality assessment – maybe 80-100 questions – As I saw in forums before, this one sucks. Two statements, one on the left and one on the right with 6 radio buttons in between. Strongly agree, agree, slightly agree on each side. The statements may be something like “I anger easily” and “I am depressed all the time” or “I don’t get along well with anyone” and “I dislike being in any type of leadership role because im scared”. Your job is to choose which one you agree with more. I guess just be honest? Not sure what they are looking for here.

Overall I felt good about the games and TERRIBLE about the personality assessment. I haven't talked to anyone who felt particularly great about the personality part.