View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM
erichartmann
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: sitting

Originally Posted by PCL_128 View Post
Well, it's simply incorrect. For starters, the IBT doesn't represent many carriers with larger aircraft. ABX is really their biggest large-airplane operation, and they come in far behind in total compensation compared to their ALPA peers at FedEx. Another problem is that you're just looking at payrates. Horizon is represented by the IBT, and they have great payrates, but their total compensation is below ASA and ExpressJet, which are both ALPA carriers with lower payrates. The difference is in work rules. The IBT isn't a pilots' union, so they don't know how to structure work rules to maximize soft pay. They also don't know how to handle pilot grievances, accident investigations, aeromedical, and on and on. If you're a trucker, then go with the IBT. If you're a pilot, then go with THE pilots' union: ALPA.
My total annual compensation (including benefits) last year at ABX under the IBT contract was over $300,000. We don't have trip and duty rigs, but our guarantee is really short hand for "salary" i.e. I will always make my guarantee regardless of how many hard hours I fly. I get 15 day off per month (14 if on reserve) unless I bid open time or am "junior manned". If I work on a day off, any day off, my minimum pay is 4.5 hours per day. If the scheduled or actual fight time is greater (per day) I get paid that. If I am "junior manned" and taken below 13 days off in the month the company has to restore my day(s) off and pay me. If I lose my medical I get 66.6% of my base salary for the first two years, which I can supplement with accrued vacation time/sick time up to my base guarantee. I continue to accrue both vacation time and sick time while on disablity. After the first two years the insurance disability payment drops to 50%, but I can continue to supplement with both vacation and sick days to reach my base. The insurance pays for retraining/schooling for another profession if I can't get my medical back. Once I get a new job I can continue to collect disability until I exceed my base salary.