Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 AM
Californyia
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2022
Unhappy AIDS (Aviation-Induced Divorce Syndrome)

Is this really a thing? I obtained my commercial pilot license on March 2 and my husband informed me promptly that he is divorcing me as a result. Plain and simple. "You took the check ride, I'm done. See ya."

And we only just got married! Any hope for me or is this truly the lot of the professional pilot? I can't go home because Hubby doesn't want me around so I'm homeless living in FBOs and flying a 172 around the country.

I supported him when he was in full-time pilot training -- financially and otherwise, but he apparently didn't like me visiting him in Mesa, AZ because I flew the plane to get there. He eventually quit the program at CAE and came home to gradually return to engineering. Apparently, his rule about "Don't get further ahead of me in ratings or else" was for real. He tolerated me getting my instrument rating after considerable pleading, but once he knew about the commercial check ride, that was it. I hope to return home eventually and resume a life together, but he says absolutely no chance. I chose to go ahead with the commercial check ride, so the marriage is over, according to him. No turning back, he says. I took the ride; I suffer the consequences.

Is this what is meant by AIDS? The examples in other posts seem to be related to male pilots and their indiscretions. Has this ever happened to a female pilot whose husband cannot accept her succeeding beyond him in aviation goals? Any hope for my marriage?