Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
poppa2trolls
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

SR-71 stories are always impressive, if nothing else. Following is a good one I heard from an Air Force crew chief who had worked on them, as told from the pilot's vantage point.

Most people think that no matter how fast you go, you always want to go faster; but that's only true to a point. More than once, I've looked out ahead of the sled and seen a speck way off in the distance that quickly transformed into a blurred image of a weather balloon zooming down our right side. Thankfully, we weren't flying a half degree more to our right. In any case, we do go fast.

I remember listening to radio traffic on LA Center's frequency when a light single innocently asked Center for his ground track. After a momentary pause, Center replied, "November 1234A, showing you at... an impressive 138 across the ground."

Well, guys being guys, it wasn't but a second before a twin called up and asked for his speed. "November 5678B, showing you at 195."

Not to be outdone, a Navy jet called up and asked for his. "Vixen 34, showing you at 394."

It was then that I heard the all-too-familiar click of the VHF trigger in the back seat. "Center, Aspen 20, ground track, please." There was a long pause before the reply, "Aspen,... one thousand, seven hundred thirty eight."

The moments following that transmission were the quietest I can ever remember on LA's frequency.