View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 12:21 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Pay and QOL at fracs are certainly reasonable, ie better than most white-collar grinds, but most objective observers would say that long term pay and QOL will be better at a legacy. You can make decent money at a frac if you hustle apparently.

With a frac you won't have to sweat the commute. But you still have to *do* the commute.

Does seven-on work for you? 12 hours/day hot reserve in an FBO? If my legacy needs me to hang out for a while outside of my domicile, they get me a hotel.

OK flying with some interesting characters? True at majors too, some more than others but generally not as bad. At least the airlines kick them to the curb at age 65. I had two buds who did fracs for a while and they complained about that.

Also consider upgrade time... it's pretty darn low at most legacies right now.

Also consider who you'll fly with after you do upgrade. Junior CA's are leaving lower-tier majors to go to the big-three right now... what kind of FO's will general aviation be able to attract in a couple years? The majors will be hiring CFI's soon if they're not already. That was a big part of why left my regional a few years ago, and it turns out that I beat the rush.