View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 09:10 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Jhsouders View Post
I am coming out the military next year as a Aircraft Commander in the V-22 (24 passenger capacity) and I will only have restricted ATP mins. I am having a hell of a time finding a job besides the regionals. I would say your ability to conduct safe flight operations highly depends on the quality of flight time that a pilot has.

Most majors do not hire R-ATPs, the best ones require full ATP.

Maybe some ULCC's do, but they might to be VERY reluctant to hire a winged mil guy/gal, because they know for sure you'll be gone once you get 1500-2000 hours.

So kind of catch-22, probably just need to pick a regional with a junior base near where you want to live and get on with it. It's OK to line up an airline job in advance and then drop out with some reasonable notice if you get a better offer later.

Keep pressing, in this climate you never know. But where you ultimately want to end up at your age is big three or FDX, due to mass retirements.

You could also do corporate/135 but regional 121 experience and a transport-category type rating will do more for you app scoring than most corporate.