Thread: NYC transportation advice

PilotBases , 05-14-2022 01:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off
PilotBases
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2020
Quote: Hey all. I'm retiring from the military with availability Fall '22. Divorced and want to move to Brooklyn in 3-5 years when the kids go off to college. I know that's weird to a lot of people, but I'm pretty solid on wanting to live there. Commuting somewhere from CHS until then. Am I crazy to want to domicile out of NY? Should I reverse commute out of Brooklyn? I've been thinking Delta for a long time, but after reading the forums, have some concerns with the commutes to/from NY, among the 3 airports, and with the schedules. United out of EWR (or even BWI) or AA out of JFK are also on my radar. My eventual target, if I'm fortunate enough to work towards it, is widebody to Europe. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Absolutely not. Brooklyn is super easy to get to JFK or LGA depending where you are. Once upon a time I did a “backwards commute” from NYC for a bit, and got the funniest looks when I’d talk to the crews.

Live off the J line and you have a straight shot to Kennedy via Jamaica Air Train. 7ER is 99% JFK flying (1% charters). 737 mostly JFK, and when you hold a line you can bid avoid EWR or LGA as needed. PM me if you have questions about specific areas.