View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 AM
4everFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Left Out

Originally Posted by jousteagle View Post
4everFO,
Can you comment on the cargo schedules? How long are the trips? Time off between trips? On PPRuNe I read something like 12 day trips with 5-6 days off. Does this sound accurate?

If I understand the hiring process correctly, as a DEFO, you'll automatically go to Cargo and then wait your turn for pax flying (if that's what you want).

Thanks!
I have done 10-12 day trips, but that is usually due to training/checking of some sort in Hong Kong. Most of my trips are 5-7 maybe 8. I have also done North America trips that have been 3 days long. The company does schedule minimum guaranteed days off every month (8-10), with the rest of the days occupied with duty, O days and A days. O days are for things like delays and maintenance issues down route. If they get you while at work and give you an assignment on a O day, you have to do it. If they call you at home for O day work then just don't answer the phone. I have been used on O days 2 times in two years. "A" days are reserve (0600-1400 home base time) but you have 10 hours to report to duty. I have been used once on an A day in two years with the company.

Considering all of that, I would say that I average anywhere from 12 to 21 days free of duty counting Gs, Os, and As. Remember two that we get 6 weeks of leave, so taking 2 weeks at a time, 3 times a year....thats 3 months that you will probably have almost 20 off.

DEFOs are no longer designated PAX or freight.

FO