View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 07:03 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Trashman3 View Post
Wouldn't an airline consider this as abusing the USERRA law? I saw another post about career intermission programs where folks were getting flamed for attempting to use the law to their advantage, much like this post.
An airline would probably consider it abuse, and that was certainly not the intent of the law. But it would be perfectly legal, not even a grey area if you incurred the necessary obligated service at the right points. This would be so rare that I doubt an airline would bother to fight it if it happened. I've never heard of anyone doing this, although in 9/11 era I've known of a few folks who left AD, joined the reserves, got a major seniority number, and then went out on Noble Eagles, etc orders long enough to get 20+ AD. Of course most of those got furloughed through no fault of their own so you can't blame them at all.

The recent airline angst is all about reservists who get hired, finish training (or maybe not even that), bang out for 3-5 years and then come back to good seniority. It's fairly obvious that most of those folks intended to game the system all along.

That makes it harder for the rest of us to get hired, and is not really within the spirit of the law. I advised my folks to complete probation if possible, after that I think it's reasonably fair game. But needs of the service, and even your own mil career gateway needs take priority, so do what you have to do. Just don't do it to get out of airline reserve.