View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
FlyHappy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: What do you have?

Originally Posted by Herc130AV8R View Post
Anybody know if a type rating in the C-130 would be of any value when applying for an airline job?? Would that help me when trying to get a type in another aircraft?? Thanks for any replies
Any type rating is helpful to show that you have the ability to earn a type rating. However, it's not going to make much of an impact on getting a job -- especially when you consider most applications have at least one type rating. So, if anything, not having one at all might hurt a little. All you need to do is take your paperwork over to the FSDO. I added three type ratings while I was on AD and each one only took a few minutes to accomplish at three different FSDOs. My experience has been that the FAA guys enjoy talking with military pilots, so it was never a hassle for me. If you came out of T-1s, you should have also gotten your BE-400 and MU-300 types when you did your military equivalancy CMEL/Inst ticket. If you end up going towards the fractional side, it certainly doesn't hurt you to have a business jet type on your cert. Unless you are trying to get on with Southwest, DO NOT waste the money on a type rating. Most places will not even consider them unless you have a certain amount of time in type. If you do go for your 737 type for Southwest, be sure to look into state vocational money for veterans -- my understanding is that some states will give you money for your type rating under "vocational training" programs. :-)