Thread: Berry Aviation
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 09:57 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by aeroengineer View Post
Interesting side note on Multi-time. I've talked to some on the part 91 side and insurance requirements which are the pseudo regulatory "agency" of aviation have made it tough to get into. One Cessna 414 position required 50 hours in type and another job wanted 250 multi minimum. Pretty good chunk of change. I was told Warren Buffet and his insurance companies are behind a lot of it but who knows. I could see a practical effect of retired airline pilots being in the best position to benefit especially those who took an early retirement at the beginning of COVID.
Retired airline pilots jumping at the change to glob onto on-call 24/7 jobs in light piston aircraft? A few maybe. Out of sheer boredom. And a desire to recapture their youth (when pilots actually spend a few years gaining experience flying freight, etc, before going to an airline.

A requirement for a few, paltry hours of multi time (250 hours multi is not very much) to satisfy insurance isn't new, nor is it a large burden.

Insurance isn't a "regulatory agency," but it does cost money and what it will and won't cover are strong influences in who will or will not be qualified to be considered for employment. It's been that way for a long, long time. Employers can choose how much they want to pay: inexperienced pilots can be hired, but will cost an employer more. If an employer can do better and pay less, the employer probably will.

Conversely, I've seen employers, quite a few of them, that won't hire experienced pilots, but want the bare minimum of experience; the employer pays peanuts, flies junk aircraft with less than stellar schedules, and knows that low-time pilots are more likely to put up with it, and also to stick around to get their hours logged.

Being on call around the clock isn't illegal, so long as being on call allows for legal rest prior to responding for duty. If, for example, an employer requires the employee to answer the phone 24/7, but then gives the employer 12 hours to take the flight after the call, the employee has prospective rest, and is legal.

Being on a phone-tether 24/7 with a few minutes notice to respond, is not legal, and is well-established in FAA Chief Legal Counsel letters of interpretation. It's not a gray area.

As for "freight dogs" being "dead," not remotely so.