View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by FLY6584 View Post
I'm sorry this may be a stupid question, but what does all that mean?

I'm not too familiar with how the airline/cargo gig works(I'm a military guy), but I was born and raised in Clearwater, FL which is about 10min from PIE and I actually did a good portion of my GA flying out of PIE through high school and college so eventually one day I would REALLY like to fly for UPS out of PIE.

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping you all might be able to help me with...

1. Exactly how difficult would it be to get those routes out of PIE for a new guy fresh out of the military? Also how difficult is it to get a MIA domicile?
2. If you do get the PIE routes are you still technically based out of MIA?
3. Now if you were not able to get the PIE routes, but were able to get a MIA domicile how difficult would commuting be from the Clearwater area down to Miami? Basically what are your options? It's about a 5hr drive which would definitely get very old so would it be possible to jumpseat from PIE to MIA?
4. If the MIA domicile is a very tough one to get what domicile can a junior FO expect to get?

Thanks and I apologize for any dumb questions. I really don't know a lot about the airlines having always focused on flying for the military, but I have definitely realized that flying for the airlines/cargo is something I would like to do down the road.
1. Hard to get those trips for awhile as stated, but in 2007 several new hires were assigned MIA. You would probably get MIA after a few years at the most.
2. Yes.
3. Jumpseating always a possibility, but depending on the trips, you may not have to do very many commutes to MIA, flipside, 5 hour drive is something you'll end up saying "That isn't so bad" because you rely on your car. Much advantage in that.
4. Anchorage, AK has been the domicle UPS has sent most every newhire or pilots on probation in the last year. Louisville is biggest domicile by leaps and bounds, so that is always a possibility.
Good luck!