View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 10:32 AM
4dalulz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2021

Originally Posted by MrIceCreamMan View Post
I scrolled through a couple of pages of threads to see if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything so I'm going to go ahead and ask the question.

Does anyone have experience living overseas (Europe, or otherwise) and commuting to the US to work?

If so, what has your experience been?

What pitfalls did you run into?

Are you still doing it?

Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.
The following is for working for a US "airline"... I have no idea about places like Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, Korean, etc.; they used to be considered "the best" for international commuters but I never bought the hype and stuck to ACMIs.

To wit, your best bets are with ACMIs (Atlas, Kalitta, Lynden*, Omni, Western Global, etc.) -or- similar types of flying that involves long "rotations". I've heard of it done at other airlines (DAL, UAL, & SWA) "with seniority", but not from day 1 and not with a measurable level of stability and consistency.

You need to "work" with scheduling and be willing to give up "which" days off you get in the interest of the quantity you get in a row to minimize commuting - otherwise the whole proposition becomes a bit ludicrous since you can sometimes be talking about 20 hours commutes (and who wants to do that twice a week?).

Several folks I know (as well as myself) have whittled our commutes down to 5 "out" and 5 "in" trips per year (month on month off schedules and using vacation). We're all at ACMIs and live in Southeast Asia, Europe, and Brazil.

*Would probably hire any C130 guy on the spot since all they have is Herks.