View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 08:12 AM
symbian simian
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by DEM1933 View Post
Aspiring to a seat in a widebody is a commonly held goal, but I wonder if it's all it's cracked up to be. Widebody aircraft are beautiful awesome machines, and to be in command of one would be really cool. But then there's the lifestyle that goes with it. Back side of the clock flying and week long pairings, and the trips to the sim for landing currency. Most guys that love to fly, love the takeoffs and landings. Of course some days on narrow body aircraft are ridiculous and exhausting with legs in excess of 3 or 4, and my own experience is solely narrow body flying so I'll be interested if anyone with a few years on a widebody fleet would provide some better insight.
The thing is, if you work for a company that has widebodies, the narrowbodies are the junior equipment. WB FO could go senior to NB cap. That means that to be 50% as a NB cap you only need to be 50% company wide, as opposed 25% in a single fleet company. And yes, it obviously depends on how much WB you fly in house for those numbers to work, but the gist stands.