View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 07:51 PM
flensr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by at6d View Post
YMy biggest pet peeve with the displays is the disappearing flight number.
Yea right? You can tell Boeing really didn't care, it's obvious whoever did the software specs and testing had little or no actual commercial flying experience. Just like continuing to hide or upsell the AOA gauges until the crashes... I get the whole deal about trying to avoid a specific type rating, but I thought we were over the whole "oooh AOA gauge scary!" thing a solid 20 yrs ago. Even primary flight trainers get AOA gauges now and in spite of decades of dire warnings from the dinosaurs out there, nobody is spinning into the ground staring at the scary confusing AOA gauge. I remember the debates raging over AOA gauges back in the 1980s, with pilots ranting about downwind turns and the hazard of "retraining" pilots to correlate AOA with aircraft performance... Clearly Boeing never got the memo and that disappearing flight number is proof positive that they don't really have anyone with actual *flying* experience in there. Fine, don't change the software. Just give me back the little rotary number wheel on the yoke and I'll be happy. Nothing sparks a late night last-leg cussing session like turning off the runway and proudly transmitting "Ground, Southwest uhhhhmumbleg*&@mmi^ clear of the active for gate A4".