View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 02:48 PM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Someone in another forum posted up something about a little snippet of legislation that changes the certification criteria starting in 2023, requiring a completely new alerting system. So if the FAA can manage to drag their feet on the max7 (and max10) certification until past the end of the year (Fiscal year if I recall correctly, so October), Boeing has to certify it as a new aircraft under new rules due to retrofitting them with the new alerting system.

Here's a little article discussing some of the problem: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...erting-system/

My bet is that someone is trying to kill SWA and/or force Boeing to get rid of the max. Like the rest of our government, there is probably someone with a huge pile of money behind all this pushing to require the MAX cockpit and workflow to be completely redesigned.

While I'm 100% in favor of killing off the 737, this is not the right way to do it. My preference would be to do it through airspace management efficiency/modernization requirements that can't be complied with using obsolete aircraft, or through market forces. Not by moving the goalposts in this way right at the end of the re-certification process of an existing aircraft that has had a pretty darn good safety record in the US for the last couple of decades, but which suffered a huge political hit due to crashes by barely qualified crews and slipshod maintenance outside the US.
When this rule was made, they made the effective date such that the MAX 7/10 certification would be done and it would therefore not apply to any of the MAX family. But then there were more delays than anticipated, and here we are. My guess is they get an extension since the spirit/timing of the rule was to enable all the MAX family to have the same eicas-less cockpit.