Thread: FlyExclusive
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2022, 08:28 PM
B727DRVR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool Sorry that it took a while to respond..

Originally Posted by Cherokee69drvr View Post
Considering a position with FE assuming I get an interview/offered a job. Curious what people like and dislike about the company / 135 life style. Coming from a 121 regional operator that I’ve been commuting to. On paper it makes more sense for me to go to FE rather stick around my regional. Better pay, better incentives, overall better treatment (it seems). Any insight to what I may be missing would be appreciated.

Also curious what the chances of getting to a major are from a 135 operator such as FE. My ultimate goal is wide body transcon flying. I understand the 121/1000 TPIC limitation is all but gone but the stigma still exists amongst my peers and myself. Any insight into that would be very appreciated. Thanks for the info.
Hey Cherokee,

Being former 121 Cargo myself, I tell everyone that I talk to that if your goal is in Part 121, and you already fly for a 121 operator, you might consider staying in Part 121. Also, I tell people that if you are 50 or younger, you need to at least consider a Part 121 job (I’m talking Legacies here..), because Part 121 Legacy pilots have fought for over 90 years to have everything that they have now. The Fractional/Part 135 Charter world is a fairly recent phenomenon, even Netjets, when compared to the pay and benefits that the Legacies offer, so it will take a long time for us to get to their level, if ever. But aside from your better LCC’s, most Regionals and lower tier LCC’s (unless you live in base) will have a hard time matching the pay and QOL that you will enjoy at the Fractionals/Charters. Being home based is amazing, never having to worry about getting to and from work being one of our greatest perks.

The Bottom Line is that everyone, and I mean everyone should at least consider finishing up their career at a Legacy if they can. But if you can’t (or done wan’t to go back like me), you can really have a career outside the Part 121 world that is satisfying, challenging, and lucrative. If you want to take a break from the Regional grinder for a while, and until you are ready to jump directly to a Legacy, give us a try.