View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 06:49 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

It can be done with some seniority, may need to be selective about which fleet.

Also redeyes may not be as bad as you think... it's generally easier to stay up late than get up early for most people. I don't mind having the day to myself, drive in after rush hour and arrive on the other coast around 0200-0300 CA time. That's just staying up late, not really working all night. Redeye from HI on the other hand can be brutal... you're already up past your bedtime when you report to work.

Also airline rest rules are better than the mil... you don't fly all night and then work your desk job all day. You mostly get adequate rest following a shift and there's a limit to how many days in a row they can grind you. Bad news: junior schedules can suck. Good news: you won't be junior for very long at the big three/FDX due to hiring & retirements, as long as you don't chase the money on bigger jets. I'd guess after a year or less on 737 and probably 320 you'd be in good shape (FDX is different, need to go ask in their forum).

UPS has that ONT base, but they don't have as much seniority movement right now.