Old 06-21-2022, 07:24 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by NewCareer View Post
This is the one LCC that has ideal bases for me, and I am a big fan of the company (recent issues notwithstanding), know a quite a few people there, and when I started this whole career change, I remember saying how happy I would be if I could get there and call it a day - if I could get there.
Obviously I’d love to get to United but maybe I am being greedy.
Careful about Stockholme Syndrome here. It would be great if you can get on with B6, you'd be set for a happy career. Once the dust settles on that, then evaluate your status with regards to top tier... that would offer more money but also faster career progression (so even more money with faster upgrade) and opportunities to do more varied flying.

Especially considering there is a recession afoot. It would suck to go to a new gig right when the music stops. But then again, there is the argument for when the music stops, where would you rather be?
Depends on risk tolerance and your personal/family financial situation.

Also, it seems like the retirements at United might increase my chances of moving up the seniority list faster.
No maybe about it, numbers don't lie. Even age 67/68 would barely move the needle IMO.

I know lots of guys at B6 and most are much younger than me and will always be senior to me. But maybe the airlines growth prospects are better which might even things out?
Retirements are guaranteed. Growth is not, by any means.

Lastly, and I know I have said this before, but it’s worth repeating. I feel embarrassed even talking about all these first world problems knowing what the guys my age have gone through to get here. For those guys that battled through the lost decade and dealt with all the crap, your struggle is not lost on me. I’m super thankful for all that you’ve endured, all the gains you’ve secured, and all you’ve done for the profession.
Don't lose any sleep over that, not your fault. If nothing else we're getting a vicarious thrill watching airlines sweat over this. And it helps everybody's odds of contractual gains.