Gets Weekends Off
chrisreedrules
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2012
  • Position
    CRJ FO
Quote: Pilotless airplanes, like driverless cars, are the planes/cars of the future….and always will be.

Everyone thinks pilotless planes in the near future are ridiculous; somehow though, cars in infinitely more complex operating environments are just around the corner.

Uh uh. Sure. If there’s that kind of quantum leap in AI, 90% of all workers are instantly redundant and out of work forever.
There is a very logical argument for just this. Very smart people in those industries are warning people now that this is coming. While I don’t agree with much of his politics, Andrew Yang got 1 thing right. We’re too busy dithering with the here and now when we should be looking at what’s coming that will change our society forever: Automation and A.I. making human workers obsolete.

As for green energy and EV’s, I think they’re good ideas. I just think there needs to be some reality injected into the conversation. We aren’t going to see any meaningful shift away from fossil fuels for the next 20-30 years. Many of us will likely be gone by then. Personally I think solar power is the future, I just think the way we currently harvest it and store it will have to be transformed. Maybe space-based solar arrays and a way to beam the energy back to earth to be stored in large batteries? Hell I don't know. It all sounds like science fiction, but as another poster above pointed out, so was air travel and nuclear power at one point.