View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 01:47 PM
Big E 757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by TegridyFarms View Post
Same here. Guys bought me a meal or coffee or whatever. I don’t pound beers at work. I buy all the new guys a meal. Not the point. The point is that the relationship between you and I doesn’t extend beyond what I’m being paid to do. This particular guy I didn’t care for. His mentality was that as a new guy his fam would look out for him.

Also—I was a new hire under our old contract and made $91k my first year. These guys can easily do $100k.
I have two stories related to above…both occurred a few years ago when I was NYC 320 A. First probationary pilot followed me around in the terminal and I’d invite him to get something to eat on layovers and paid for everything but the following me around in the terminal in search for food kind of got to me. I could tell he’d go wherever I did, in the hopes of getting a free meal. But the last night, over food and a beer, he told me I was the first Captain that ever paid for anything for him and he’d been on the line at least 4 months so I felt bad for him at that point and was glad I’d taken care of him. As a NYC Captain, we flew with a lot of new hires and I can understand that it does indeed get expensive when the new hires expect everything to be covered (which is extremely rare, but I’ve seen it) and the Captains did pay for some meals for me so I don’t mind occasionally.

Second guy, the last night of the trip we are at Duffys in FLL and as I’m paying, after having paid for two previous meals, I discover that this guy had 35-40 years with the government. U.S. Navy but he also taught at Yale I think, through the pentagon or something, and his military pension was somewhere in excess of $7K a month I think, added to the 4-5K he was taking home at Delta, he was making as much as I was. that guy should have refused the gesture and told me to save it for the next guy, which some FO’s have. I’ve flown with guys who had loaded parents or in-laws that flat out told me “thanks but no thanks, save it for the next guy, I’m set”.