View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 01:27 PM
fireman653

Default Need some advice!

Let me start with a little background. I am currently an aircraft rescue firefighter at DFW International Airport. The "port" takes care of me pretty well. I make a little over $60K a year as a basic firefighter. If I promote, I can make roughly $85k a year... eventually. I only have to work nine to ten days a month. The typical firefighter schedule.... one day on and then two days off. And I love my job.

I am married with kids. I have a very small mortgage (because I got lucky) and we are free of debt... besides the usual small expenses. My wife supports me (probably because she is tired of hearing about it).

Having said this, I also have a fixation with flying. My father worked for the airlines for 36 years and retired (not as a pilot, though). I worked for the airlines for a couple of years as a ramp rat. I loved it. Since this time, I have always wanted to fly. Friends have taken me up with them and we have putted around. I loved it.

I have been considering getting all of my licenses this summer and start instructing. (I really don't know how taking a loan for $35k in order to make $16/hour can be justified though.) I think that I would like to instruct for a few years (both single and multi) and then move on to something a little more sophisticated.

My question is: After instructing for a few years, what kind of options could be suggested for someone in my situation since I would really like to keep my day job?

Also, do the majors ever hire flight instructors with tons of hours... both single and multi? I bet those days are gone.

What do you guys/girls think?

I would appreciate the help.