Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Andy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by scrapdog View Post
Andy - not a flame but just curious...where did you get your information on the above outline in red? I've heard from multiple sources (and I work there) that CAL is continuing their hiring for the forseeable future. Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks.
Scrapdog, the hiring projections are based on aircraft deliveries and block hour increases, along with retirements. I expect CAL to shut off the first two. The third factor will merely allow CAL to not furlough.
CAL also has a large training float right now. If they stop the music tomorrow and do not have a bunch of pilots in training, their manning requirements instantly decrease.

Oil prices are only one part of the problem; Delta and United took the step of parking aircraft because future bookings are dropping off. Information that you and I do not have access to.

The entirety of the above is pure speculation on my part; take it for what it's worth. However, having grown up in the airline world, I've watched airline cycles since I was in elementary school back in the '60s.
The CAL comment was not intended to be a flame, merely an observation. CAL's a great company. I am sure that their management will take the necessary steps to ensure the company gets through rough economic times.