View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 03:16 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Meme In Command View Post
I am Army aviation branched fixed wing commissioned officer. My only rotor time is from the flight school, which was another hurdle. No matter how many times I specified I was a fixed wing guy, AF personnel offices always got hung up on me being "the army rotor guy".
I hate to say it, but the challenge you will face as an already fixed wing rated winged pilot is that you can’t go to pilot training. It would be like a C-17 guy applying to a guard fighter unit for a UPT slot. He’s already taken his bite at the apple. Even though there was no opportunity for you to compete for a T-38 slot in pilot training, the system will see you the same as that C-17 guy. They may be able to send you through a quickie T-38 course, IFF (intro to fighter fundamentals), and then the B course as a cross flow. Unfortunately, no only is this rare for anyone, but you would be simultaneously learning a challenging jet, all the relevant AFIs, and making the cultural shift. That’s not a small lift. This is not to say it’s impossible, merely very difficult.