View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 06:47 AM
Elevation
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
If you're an American citizen come on and apply. What's the worst that happens?
I wanted to clarify my thought here in case I foment some anger that's misplaced. I like having Americans benefit from our contracts. It's even better when those contracts work in the interest of US foreign and domestic policy. So I have problems with us abusing the E3 visa program. The problem is that we aren't supporting our fellow countrymen and countrywomen after receiving substantial support from the US government. While it can be argued that we are simply using the tools that our government provides us, I think one could argue that we're not really complying with the intent of these laws. These concerns go beyond labor relations or my personal geopolitical views. Are we squandering our political capital in a time of plenty at the expense of when we'll really need it?

In the last two years, we've refused to return bailout money. We've expanded our relations with Cainiao shortly after receiving those funds. Now we're hiring on E3 visas. These decisions will have consequences. If pro-labor views come about in future elections, these decisions will harm us. If pro-business views strengthen with coming elections, they'll likely be tied to some level of nativist sentiment. These same decisions will be exploitable even then. Of course, politics, money and relationships go a long way. So none of this happens in a vacuum, and we're only discussing a few of many hundreds of factors affecting our future. Still, we can't keep making moves like these without some kind of blowback.

So my problem is that we're inappropriately holding a door open to foreigners, and we're ignoring the costs.

I do not, however, have a problem with the pilots who are taking advantage of these opportunities. So there's no problem with Australian pilots. If you're here, the only thing I have to say is "Nice to meet you.". The problem is with our hiring practices not the pilots we hire.