View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 07:23 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by PUNK View Post
The Aviation industry is full of white conservatives. Give minorities a chance. How many airline pilots are Asian, black, Indian, Middle Eastern? Not a whole lot. Without what united is doing, it will continue to be run by old white boomers.
Nobodies excluding anybody, it's been quite the opposite for decades. EVERY desirable job or employer in this country has been falling all over itself to hire diversity for the last 20-30 years. Every employer I've ever had (except the one that provided heavy marine services to the fishing industry, they were all Italians).

The issue for diversity is two-fold:

Young Men: Either don't develop an interest in aviation while young due to cultural differences compared to whites. Or don't have access to the education and/or finance necessary to pursue the career. I'm OK with and would advocate addressing that by enabling access to the foundational stuff at a very young age, get them off to a good start, show what's possible and available, and let them decide. You can always join the mil, I didn't have money as a teenager so that's what I did. Back then I could have also attended Hometown State U for less $1K/semester and worked construction or even fast food to live. Today you'd need financial aid even for that, but it is available.

But when you actually get hired for a job like this, it needs to be competitive on an equal footing.

Young Women: Guess what? Most are just not interested in technology, airplanes, or being gone all the time during child-bearing/raising years. For those who are, opportunities abound. I don't see the problem. That one is all a bunch of political BS, because they know it will NEVER change and so they get to keep making woke hay out of the issue in perpetuity.

Want to do outreach so young girls know what's available? Sure, why not. But how many of us pilots have male family members in aviation? I'm good for three generations, and the only reason it's not four is because they didn't even have aircraft carriers in Great-Grandad's era (Grandad flew off the Langley). How many of us have female family members in aviation? I have an Aunt who got a PPL. They *should* have had the same opportunities (education, money, mentors) as their brothers, at least since 1980 or so. My sisters and cousins are mostly all white-collar professionals... they *could* have done aviation if they wanted to.

And don't get me started on the idea that women should get special out-of-seniority schedules and paid leave that's not available to dads or men in general for other reasons they might have