View Single Post
Old 07-19-2022, 09:03 AM
53WireWizard
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Originally Posted by screamin jet View Post
Please take a good look here as this is from the AMAS or aviationmedicine.com. https://www.aviationmedicine.com/art...gical-support/. I'm NOT so sure that if you hadn't been officially diagnosed with any kind of depression you'd even have to report it on Form 8500-8 for the FAA airmen's medical certification. However, ensure you read on that form the explanation in big caps AND selections in item #18, please. You'll recognize the applicable ones. That said, UNLESS if you can honestly answer that and IF IS NOT officially diagnosed I wouldn't think you'd have to necessarily report that to the FAA. In any event, hang in there as the good news is having or having had it isn't necessarily a disqualifying condition for a 1st class medical. I also believe that certain milder anti-depression meds maybe allowed to take. Check the AMAS site though. Hope that this also helped!

Sleep Apnea (OSA) that is being successfully treated with the APAP/CPAP machine shouldn't take long for FAA 1st class "special issuance" approval. Especially if you've already had a sleep study and MWT (maintenance wakefulness test) prescribed by a physician. And, you have a physician's letter OR statement you have NO daytime sleepiness.

Certainly you can wait to report the OSA Sleep Apnea on your next FAA medical and continue to operate legally.
Certainly wish I had seen this before starting the process haha. Hopefully it won't take too long for me to receive the special issuance. Just waiting on the FAA to let me know what they want to see. I was just a bit nervous about getting ratings while receiving disability payments and the potential legal fallout resulting from that. The feds are the last organization that I want to play the "Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness" game with.