View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 01:56 AM
AntiPeter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Pilot

Interesting conversation. I left NJA and went to a legacy. I miss many things about NJA. Some things at NJA are better than the airlines, and I’ve found some aspects of the airline experience to be somewhat disappointing.

As far as scheduling goes, I’m away from base less at my airline vs. NJA (even the less work schedules like the 52 & 60 day). When I’m on overnights I have time and ability to do stuff, this was rare at NJA in the recent years.

Commuting to an airline destroys most of what I said above. Does a long-term airline commuter have a better QOL than a NJA pilot? I’m not so sure.

NJA kicked butt regarding vacation, medical insurance, and the FBO experience usually beats almost any airport terminal. FAs are in general a over-dramatic liability.

Airline pilots seem to, on average, have a bit more self worth and respect than the average 135 pilot…but unfortunately ALPA seems about as dysfunctional as NJASAP.

Hindsight being 20/20, if someone had to commute to an airline job…even a major or legacy…I think NJA might be a better option. The commuters I see go to great lengths to commute, they spend large amounts of money, have much more stress and reduced QOL. In most cases it simply isn’t worth it and the NJA scheme of home basing is a better option.