Thread: SFO - Commute
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 08:26 AM
CLazarus
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 777FO

Originally Posted by clear2takeoff View Post
Hello... We are considering a move to RNO and are watching the flights to-from SFO recently to get an idea of the commute. Planning on flying vs driving as much as possible and willing to buy the discount tickets if jump-seating is as difficult as it's been mentioned. My main question at this point is that we've seen a few cancelations recently (mostly cited to crew availability)... Is that a common occurrence? Any projections/insights on the number of flights on UAL metal per day? Seasonal variability? Right now I'm mostly seeing 3-4 flights per day, with 1 or 2 of them mainline. TIA
If you are considering RNO because you love the area, fair enough. But, if you are simply thinking about saving on taxes there are better options. Lots of PDX commuters live across the border in WA, a much easier flying commute than RNO. LAS is also a much easier commute. RNO to LAX is actually an easier flying commute than SFO (eight flights tomorrow vs. three to SFO), and the 737 base in LAX is now actually a bit bigger than SFO. Despite the money you'd save living in RNO, you can always make a lot more of it living closer to base with the ability to pick up trips on short notice. As my Dad told me a long time ago, "You can always earn more money, but you can't buy more time. Spend your time wisely."