View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Starlifter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: 737 FO/Capt/FO

Originally Posted by Tanker-driver View Post
Anyone know of a good place to go get an ATP rating? I'm military and have never really flown light twins, so I'm looking for a place that will take this into account. Most (95%) of my experience has been in turbofan, EFIS equipped aircraft on jet routes with a good amount of time spent in terminal areas. I've looked at 'All ATPs' and they seem to have a pretty good program, but I've heard a horror story or two about military guys getting sent to the checkride and being hung out to dry because they didn't know the ins and outs of the GPS or weren't intimately comfortable with prop levers. Are there any military friendly schools out there?
On a related note; are there any military folks out there who have been through this process that can recommend some good gouge to prepare? I'm looking at taking some leave this coming summer to accomplish this, so I've got a few months. Should I just bury my nose in the FAR/AIM, or are there better things I could be doing with my time?
One last question for the civil or mil side: Does anyone know about converting a FAA ATP to an international license? I've heard that an FAA ATP counts as an ICAO ATP -- Can anyone confirm this? If that's true, then that leaves JAA. Are there any schools in North America that offer a conversion course? If so, what kind of a time/money investment am I looking at?

Sorry to be so long winded!! Any info available would be helpful.

Thanks!

Naples Flight Center in Florida might be able to give you some JAA info. MUCH @$$pain! I did the conversion in Europe while stationed here... Yes, expensive but bigger hurdle is even with JAA license one needs right to work in the EU.

Good luck,
Lifter