Thread: Junior Base?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 05:01 AM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
How about we just leave it in VNAV and let it do it’s thing like it was designed to do?

Oh that’s right…..we’re at SWA now.
Oh, but we do... they just still want us to fingerbang the MCP and the FMC, but with VNAV on now because.... I don't know... Air Force? Don't forget the 150 unnecessary callouts on departure because that's how it was done in the -200.

I've been quietly rebelling against this insanity by telling the captains I'll handfly to 3000' AAE at flaps up speed and then accelerating to 250... no fingerbanging the MCP, no 150 callouts while ATC is trying to talk to us, no heads down in the box trying to figure out L2-L3. Just quiet, fly, accelerate and one button push for autopilot, done. By doing this, I've stayed in the company required noise profile, our heads are outside and our workload is minimal. The next leg, cappy is doing it too and commenting how much simpler this is.

More than one way to skin the cat, and according to a check airman, as long as you brief it that way, you're covered because it's essentially the same method but handflown.