View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 12:23 PM
Hello Newman
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
To be very clear, ALPA is fighting the good fight for us in this matter.

In almost every case, it is is better to be at the table. If we just take the feel-good politically popular "!WE ARE AGAINST EVERYTHING!" stand then we are irrelevant. We want to be FOR good things and work to make bad things good, or at least, better.

I’m sorry, but I think you making a bit of a straw man argument. I am not suggesting that we take the position that WE ARE AGAINST EVERYTHING. There is a big difference between “being at the table” and offering unconditional support to a JV that means additional outsourcing of our jobs. As an example, this is from a former MEC Chair regarding the Aeromexico JV:

“For the reasons stated above, the JCA will benefit consumers, Delta’s pilots and employees, and a range of communities in the United States. The proposed limitations in the Show Cause Order would greatly reduce those benefits. Accordingly, the Delta MEC urges the Department of Transportation to set aside those limitations and unconditionally approve the Joint Application.”

Did the pilots receive ANY consideration from the company in exchange for this unqualified support for the JV? As far as I am aware, Delta management gladly pocketed the statement of support and continued its outsourcing quest. What was the benefit to Delta pilots resulting from ALPA supporting the JV? How did this help to “make bad things good”, as you put it? How is this fighting the good fight?

Serious question, and not trying to be snarky. I honestly do not see the benefits of this approach.