View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 01:20 AM
peterq
In the Pattern

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Desk Cpt. and punching a keyboard
Angry Aerostar.. it works but you must be vigilant

So I have also attended Aerostar in Kissimmee FL back in 2020. I was successful in attaining my ATP and Type certification in the B737NG. Both of my instructors were very competent and experienced pilots in the B737NG. The sim was clean and was available when we were scheduled to be there. The Check-ride was thorough and stressful as to be expected, the designated examiner pulled no punches and there were no "giveme's". BLUF you had to know the aircraft and how to fly it.

So now to the admin side of the house........ holy cripes..... what a shi$ show. Luckily for me I lived just six miles away and could drop-in unannounced to check on what ever I needed done. Now the situation was exacerbated due to the COVID and it seemed that the people you needed to see that day were "working from home". In my case I was utilizing my GI Bill and of course they want the money from you up-front before training can begin (unlike Flight Safety and SimCom). Then they will refund you the amount that the VA pays them once the VA releases the funds. Well according to them that takes 6-8 weeks. Long story short at 8 weeks I still had not received my money back. So I called the VA to check on when they were going to pay Aerostar, the VA informed me that they released the funds exactly one week after I completed the course. So now of course I'm a little angry as Aerostar has been hanging onto the funds for almost two months. I then called Aerostar and was informed that they had just processed the check and were waiting for the owner of the school to sign the check that afternoon, and then they would mail me the check.... Well we have all heard the "checks in the Mail' excuse and I was not about to sit for that, so I declined the mailing offer and told them I would be there at 4 p.m. to pick it up...... They did have the check ready when I stopped by, but man it sure appeared shady to me, and I would be very hesitant to return due to the shaky administration of the school.