View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 12:42 PM
AntiPeter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by jtf560 View Post
How much does an average legacy 737 or 320 captain make on an average schedule? I know it isn't found just by multiplying the hourly rate by 1000 and the W2 thread on the majors board doesn't make it easy to guess anything close to an average. I'm sure it is considerably more than a NetJets captain on the 7&7, but the average on the 7&7 is now around 250K with 0 extra days. Work day for work day I'm sure the legacies blow NJA away, but those who are willing to work more than the 7&7 average really do make quite reasonable money now, though they are definitely earning it. I would have a hard time believing a captain on the 76 day schedule would make less than 300K now, even without a bunch of extended days. The pilots who crank out the extended days are making real money. I recently flew with a Global captain who was over 300K by the end of June. That is not the norm, but it is real. I would personaly go for the legacies if I was young and they are probably a better choice for the vast majority, but to pooh pooh the money that one can make at Netjets now isn't right. It is there and it is real. It just takes more work to get it.
It is difficult to compare, and using what metrics. NJA is fairly close at this point in time.

A junior legacy PIC is probably going around $260/hr now. Guess 85 credit without fussing with a schedule, trading premium, working extra, etc. $270k + 16% B-fund is $310k.

UAL pilots voted their TA down, MEC retracted it. LECs are currently pending recall. Life ain’t all rose scented farts, no matter where you are.

The NB reserve rules are so bad at my legacy most people do not upgrade when they can hold it. Upgrades go unfilled all the time. This is much worse than NJA, much. Imagine folks at NJA bypassing upgrade? It almost never happens.

The average NJA 7/7 pilot spends about 330 hours TAFB in a month. The average 121 pilot living in base is significantly less. In fact, it’s difficult to be away from base more than 330 hours in any month…my 121 CBA more or less prohibits it. The 72&76 day NJA pilots spend a lot more TAFB. To me, this was the big difference…and a deciding factor in my decisions.

NJA is a good career. In some ways they have the FAR 121 jobs beat. In some ways they don’t.

Most of us are looking for the day we can tell management to cram it. Most of us will never set foot in our jobs again if we were financially secure. Let’s not kid ourselves. We work our jobs because we need to. Not because we love it. We all make choices to find the most tolerable company that robs us of our time and health.

There is a lot of jealousy, pride and insecurity in this industry. We all are forced to accept more work for less relative pay, every year. This is the nature of our careers…no matter where you are, pilots voluntarily chose to not use leverage every year. ALPA, NJASAP, APA, SWAPA…we all kinda suck.

Last edited by AntiPeter; 08-07-2022 at 12:56 PM.