View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 03:59 PM
HeavyD
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by AntiPeter View Post
It is difficult to compare, and using what metrics. NJA is fairly close at this point in time.

A junior legacy PIC is probably going around $260/hr now. Guess 85 credit without fussing with a schedule, trading premium, working extra, etc. $270k + 16% B-fund is $310k.

UAL pilots voted their TA down, MEC retracted it. LECs are currently pending recall. Life ain’t all rose scented farts, no matter where you are.

The NB reserve rules are so bad at my legacy most people do not upgrade when they can hold it. Upgrades go unfilled all the time. This is much worse than NJA, much. Imagine folks at NJA bypassing upgrade? It almost never happens.

The average NJA 7/7 pilot spends about 330 hours TAFB in a month. The average 121 pilot living in base is significantly less. In fact, it’s difficult to be away from base more than 330 hours in any month…my 121 CBA more or less prohibits it. The 72&76 day NJA pilots spend a lot more TAFB. To me, this was the big difference…and a deciding factor in my decisions.

NJA is a good career. In some ways they have the FAR 121 jobs beat. In some ways they don’t.

Most of us are looking for the day we can tell management to cram it. Most of us will never set foot in our jobs again if we were financially secure. Let’s not kid ourselves. We work our jobs because we need to. Not because we love it. We all make choices to find the most tolerable company that robs us of our time and health.

There is a lot of jealousy, pride and insecurity in this industry. We all are forced to accept more work for less relative pay, every year. This is the nature of our careers…no matter where you are, pilots voluntarily chose to not use leverage every year. ALPA, NJASAP, APA, SWAPA…we all kinda suck.
Well thought out post. I would like to add to your last sentence. In five contract agreements at NJA, I never came across a steward, committee chair or e-board member that had issues with a contract during the TA voting period. I have always found that interesting.