View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 03:02 PM
Navier Stokes
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by dualinput View Post
I’m not really talking about commuting bc we always have the Jumpseat option. I’m more talking about traveling w a family of 4. Zero predictability until 24 hrs out and even then you have to be Jonny on the spot with the click and hope you are working or sleeping.
Why do you feel your family has any more of a need to travel than anyone else's family?

I fully support working flight crew commuting or self-deadheading having higher priority than other non-revs (and I hope positive space can stay). I don't think anyone going to Disney should boot off someone just trying to get to work or get home, no matter their seniority. On the other hand I will happily take a jumpseat even on a transcon if it helps additional people come on.

If you're travelling with family, any one of them is fully entitled to check in for the whole party if they're old enough to. Other workgroups have critical moments when they can't check-in too, not just us.

As pilots we have so much information available to us that allows us to make the best assessment of which flight has the best loads, and it really isn't too hard to make it work given some flexibility. It's certainly not zero predictability at all till 24 hours prior, since we rarely overbook. On every flight you list on you can see the full list of others who have listed and their priority so you can determine worst-case and best-case scenarios. Day of you can see the number of people who've checked in and have boarded as well. It really aint too bad most of the time if you're willing to do any legwork........