View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 09:14 AM
takingmessages
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Because of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merion_air_disaster
I am against flybys and/or any creative maneuvering when troubleshooting a landing gear.
No one can do a thing to change the outcome, I'd run the checklist and land the plane.
FWIW...

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Best not to assume.

That door isn't very far aft, and once you get out of the seat, there's nothing between you and the door. The aircraft flies at a positive deck angle all the time; it's a downhill roll between you and the open door, without anything to grab except a bench seat on the way out. There is a left side door forward of the propeller, but the best view of the gear would be from the ramp, looking forward. One would definitely want to be wearing a harness for that. If the wheel was believed gone, perhaps by ground observation, or other, verification of the extend of damage might be appropriate.

I've had damage before involving other aircraft inspecting my exterior, and I've done the same with other aircraft when they've had damage, so it's not unreasonable, if able to throw on some goggles and look past the edge of the ramp, to do so, but certainly with appropriate precautions. Ideally a harness and tether, or if unable a parachute rig.

It's not far at all if one's off balance or tumbling, to reach that open ramp. Going out the side door is a non-starter. it's very difficult to open in flight, and is directly in front of the propeller.