Thread: Hotel boredom?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 05:30 AM
highfarfast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by game View Post
Hello fellow walker! After hearing from a friend about The Great Saunter in NYC, I’ve taken up “urban hiking” on layovers with the hope of one day doing the Great Saunter in NYC. Not all hotels I had during Layovers at the regionals were ideal (ie: truckstop hampton inns, anywhere in mississippi, etc) but when I get a long layover now in a mid-sized city and get to stay near/in downtown usually there are urban nature trails that link neighborhoods together and it really can be a joy to go for miles while balancing the battery life of my airpods and iphone knocking out my favorite podcasts. Stopping along the way for lunch or dinner, pausing to just sit on a park bench and people watch. Popping in and out of local shops and taking time to read the historical markers along the way and not feeling guilty about a stop at an Icecream parlor on the way back to the hotel. Most of my crew colleagues look at me like i’m crazy when the next morning I say I walked 8+ miles on the layover, but it goes both ways. They brag about having binge watched a netflix series. Okay
When I flew corporate, this was pretty close to my normal routine. But since joining a regional, it s rare that I find myself wanting to do that. Locations suck.