View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 04:28 PM
jtf560
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by screamin jet View Post
Thank you for this excellent post with some valuable information. I myself have been contemplating the fractional, or return to the corporate flying world, MAYBE. The reasons that many younger guys and gals here may wonder why a mandatory age 65 retired "old fogie" might pursue this is for several different reasons. 1) I still love flying and hadn't fulfilled this part of my corporate jet career earlier on as "the aspiring youngster". 2) I'm in pretty good financial shape with an "A" fund to look forward to, but due to my late start with my dream airline job and the declining economy and stock markets, it could be better. 3) Many are living longer in age. 4) Health care is a lot more expensive and continues to be. 5) Desire to keep up a lifestyle rather than throttle back economically and run out of money later on. 6) Still like traveling, the lifestyle associated with flying smaller cool jets and meeting interesting people. Those are just some of the reasons. I can understand some people wondering why and I've answered someone's curiosity. That said, I've had a storied, sometimes checkered but fulfilling great career. I have NO regrets how I landed at FedEx as a B-767 Captain. A great career for about 2 1/2 decades. It will end soon because of my age. Enjoy yours! It does go by quickly.
Just for your consideration, NetJets management has recently said they will be implementing a mandatory retirement age of 65 at some unspecified point in the future. There will be a lot of lawsuits and union grievances to sort out if it will stick. I don't believe any of the other players have or are contemplating an age restriction. I would suggest finding a good 91 job if you want to continue on, though I don't know what to suggest as to how to find that. Good luck whatever you decide.