Thread: Next Step
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 10:42 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by LimaBravoDelta View Post
I’m currently 52 years old and building time at a busy 135 flying a CRJ 200. I have 1100 TT and 300 multi. At the end of my first year I will have ATP minimums. They have been offering PIC upgrades to all FO’s eligible. What would my next step be with 1500 hrs? I like the company. They treat us well. PIC first year pay is about $110,000. Company is growing. Worried that if I go to an LLC that I won’t make captain by the time of mandatory retirement. Not the least bit interested in going to a regional. I don’t think a regional would be a step up. Was thinking of JetBlue or frontier. Would they hire me with 1500TT? Any suggestions?
The ULCC's are hiring regional FO's at around 2000-2500 I think. But that's probably because that puts them at 1000 hours 121... they needed 1000/1200 or 1500 to start at a regional, depending on R-ATP eligibility.

So I assume you have about 300 hours in the CRJ? I'm guessing they'd like to see 1000 hours of turbine time or so since 135 CRJ is similar to regional ops (piston ME doesn't count for much with majors). But by all means apply as soon as you meet their mins.

I'd ask the question in the specific forums for B6 and F9, more insight there. They can also guess upgrade time.

Also... regionals are starting to pay serious coin (by regional standards). But I'd tend to agree that if your goal is LCC, just stay where you're at and they'll probably scoop you up soon enough. If you want legacy pay (and seniority progression) you should plan on needing to upgrade at the 135... or if that's going to be a long wait, better go to a regional at 1500 since your 135 SIC does NOT count towards regional upgrade requirements.

But again, apply anywhere you'd like to go, as soon as you meet their published mins.