View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 04:13 PM
jaxsurf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
This is kind of like writing a resume. You can pay some high-dollar dude/gal a bunch to write you a resume but at the end of the day, you have to sit in front of the hiring committee and sell that resume to them. Might as well do it yourself so that you are intimately familiar with what's on it.

I did a minimum amount of research, filed, and received 60% six months after the initial filing. I also rest comfortably knowing nothing that I filed will mess with my faa medical. I was 100% honest with the VA and the FAA.
Except that it’s not, and VSOs exist specifically to help you with this process. They’re also completely free and are (usually) experts at navigating this process, especially when it comes to denied claims that are actually legit.

It’s great that you had a straightforward claim and received no pushback from the VA, but that’s not the case for everyone.

It’s certainly doable to go it alone, but why? It’s not like a VSO will keep you in the dark about what’s on your claim. I was intimately aware of what was on my claim, and I didn’t have to do any of the ***** work.

VSOs also don’t fall prey to the ‘suck it up’ and ‘play hurt’ mentality that many pilots have for 10+ years, that sometimes follows them into their separation/retirement physicals and VA claims. This is not a flight physical, and many people have legitimate claims for things that they probably wouldn’t think to claim, and a good VSO will help with this.

Anyway, not a knock on anyone who does it themselves, but it’s totally unnecessary. You’re making a claim and representing yourself to the VA here… would you defend yourself in a court room without a lawyer? Just my $2.

Edit: I have a decent bro network for VA stuff because of a previous job. If anyone is looking for a VSO rec, feel free to PM me your geographical area and I’ll ask around.

Last edited by jaxsurf; 09-01-2022 at 04:29 PM.