View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 08:22 AM
Ravenwing
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Yes, Horizon management decided they would rather park the Q400s and slow hiring to a few pilot development students a month than compete for pilots during a pilot shortage. Horizon pilots later voted down their TA and have now gotten a presumably better TA; perhaps their attrition convinced management they need to actually pay to keep the pilots they still have. I wish I knew how many pilots Horizon has lost this year, I bet there are lots of demoralized Q400 pilots who decided to jump ship rather than be displaced and retrain on the E175. Perhaps some have collected another type rating and then left.

Mesa pilots voted down their TA and were recently offered industry leading pay. CommutAir pilots have been given a pay raise with an annual retention bonus partially to incentivize their pilots to stay and partially so they can revoke it at any time. SkyWest pulled their TA without a vote.

The more regional airlines that come out with good permanent pay rates like Mesa and Horizon the better it is for everyone else. I hope SkyWest and Republic will follow suit. It’s harder to take away regular pay rates than it is to remove signing and retention bonuses; definitely not impossible, but more difficult. And we now have two recent examples that good things come to those who vote down substandard TAs.