View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The other day at CLT I was instructed on downwind at 7000 in the CRJ-200 to slow to 150 knots. I said, "Unable". She repeated the instruction and I told her I was not flying a helicopter and can't slow to that speed on this part of the approach. No final flaps and gear down at 7000 feet on downwind.

When I landed I was told the call the dreaded number. I did and talked to the supervisor in a very calm and apologetic voice. I think he understood exactly why I couldn't slow the CRJ-200 to that speed.

I apologised and said that I was out of line to say in a snotty way that I couldn't fly that slow because I wasn't a helicopter and he thought the whole thing was funny.
I went into NAS Pensacola one time for the overhead break and had a trainee controller on the tower frequency. I had been cleared for the overhead and when I hit the initial I was told to follow the T-34C on mid-downwind. I had to chuckle to myself as I requested a depart and re-enter for the overhead and was approved.

After coming back around to land and during the roll out I politely informed the young controller that I was unable to follow a T-34C in the pattern at any time; 135 kts in the pattern or so doesn't mesh well with 80 kts

USMCFLYR