View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by keiundraj View Post
Recently I've experienced a Rash of "Crazy ATC Instructions." example, "Turn Right HDG330 for traffic Descend and maintain FL250 cross WTEVA intersection at or Below 11,000 then descend to 9000 ." So you're like....Why didn't you just say, turn RT HDG330 Descend PD to 9000????
He/she needed you to turn and wanted to give you as much lattitude as possible on your descent. I would interpret the instructions to mean: "I need you eventually at 9000. I would give you PD but I have crossing traffic ahead and at WTEVA, so do it this way."

Originally Posted by keiundraj View Post
OR the one that leaves you clueless "Descend to 9000 Slow to 200, At 9000 Turn Right 10 degrees and tell me that heading, expect 5000 in 5mins." You're like PHEW!!! Do you want me to Slow now or at 9K and why don't you want me to turn 10RT and tell you the HDG now????? Read it back 2 times then He/She's mad because you don't really understand what the Hell they want you to do. ?
1. Descend to 9000.
2. Slow to 200
3. turn 10 degrees
4. Say heading
5 expect 5 in five
Why #4? Maybe radically different winds aloft (frontal passage). Idon't know, but he needs it. So I add that three second radio call to my "do" list.
#5? Hmmm... maybe for lost comms protection? Remember highest of MEA, Expected or Assigned? Or maybe just as a courtesy...

Read them back, and do what you read back, and you will be fine.