View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 08:41 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by sealandair View Post
So I'm wondering what happens if I apply for a FCM and NOT taking meds anymore. Do I still need to see a HIMS ame?
Probably not. For past depression, you'll probably just need a statement from a shrink. You'll also need some period of time off meds (3-6 months or something like that IIRC).

If there was a diagnosed alcohol addiction somewhere in there, then I can't really answer how that would complicate things but it will be complicated.

I still have to disclose all my past doctor visits and meds taken previously, but does that still warrant an SI?

I'm pretty sure it does not require an SI for *past* depression and med use, as long as you have a current clean bill of health, are expected to remain stable, and have met the waiting period off meds.

Also will 3-1/2 years of unemployment and depression kill my chances at a regional, if I and my doc can prove to them I've made a full recovery? I have about 1470 TT, 100 MEL, 50 turbine, and come from 135 background. Plus 4 year degree.
Regionals won't care at all. They don't do medical exams and won't ask anything about your health other than to see your 1C. They also won't care if it's an SI. The legal climate has changed, the airlines really can't get into your health business anymore, they just leave that up to the FAA. The worst they can do is give you an FAA 1C exam to verify that you meet the standards, but most majors won't even bother.

They may ask about the unemployment period, but you could simply say that you had some health issues which you wanted to focus on, and you were fortunate enough to be in the financial position to take time off. Then zip it, they can't ask for details about that. Also they literally cannot afford to turn anyone away who is qualified right now.

And definitely stick with exercise... both cardio and strength/functional are important but cardio is the biggy for mental well being. Shoot for 45-60 minutes most days of the week.

Also healthy diet and little to no booze.