Old 09-14-2022, 10:26 AM
Boeing Aviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA
Default C5 Interim Reps Election Meeting - Important!

Council 5 Pilots,

Following the recall of our Council 5 officers, UAL MEC Chair Hamilton appointed me to the role of temporary Local Council chair for the sole purpose of conducting an election for interim status representatives and secretary-treasurer.

The meeting will be held September 28 at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel starting at noon. The only agenda items being addressed at this meeting are:
  1. Nomination & Election of Interim Captain Representative
  2. Nomination & Election of Interim First Officer Representative
  3. Election of Temporary Chair and Vice Chair with Interim Representatives as Sole Candidates
  4. Nomination & Election of Temporary Secretary-Treasurer
No other business can be conducted at this meeting.

General items to note for this meeting:
  • Only active and executive active members in good standing of Council 5 who are in attendance can participate. No proxy voting is allowed.
  • Members can vote for any and all interim positions, regardless of that member’s status.
  • Potential candidates do not have to attend the meeting to be nominated and/or elected as interim representative. Each member is responsible for determining their nominee’s willingness to serve.
  • Election is by secret ballot.
  • The nominee receiving the highest number of votes is the winner in the election.
  • Three members will be appointed as the Ballot Certification Committee (BCC).
Nomination and Election Steps:
  1. As temporary chair I will open nominations for interim captain representative. Voting members in attendance may submit the name of their nominee by standing and announcing: “I nominate (Name).” Each voting member in attendance may nominate one person, and there is no limit to the number of nominees. After all members have had an opportunity to make nominations, I will close nominations.
  2. Once the nominations are closed, the BCC will verify the members nominated are eligible to run for office. Only captains are eligible for nomination and election as captain representative.
  3. Nominees or their representatives in attendance may address the members, if they wish. Each speaker will have five minutes to speak.
  4. Eligible members will vote by secret ballot. The BCC distributes, collects, and counts the votes. The nominee receiving the highest number of votes is the winner of the interim captain representative election.
The same process will be used to nominate and elect the interim first officer representative. Only members who are first officers are eligible for nomination and election.

Following the election of interim representatives, an election for temporary chair and vice chair will be conducted. The only candidates for these positions are the two newly elected interim representatives. The candidate receiving the highest number of votes will be the temporary local council chair. The remaining newly elected interim representative will automatically become the temporary local council vice chair. If the temporary chair and/or vice chair are in attendance, I will turn the chair over to the newly elected officers.

The last election will be for temporary secretary-treasurer. The same steps for nomination and election will be used for this position. There is no status requirement for this position.

The interim representatives and temporary officers will commence their representational duties as soon as elected and will serve a term until a regular election is completed to elect permanent officers.

Council participation is at an all-time high and I hope it continues as we move through this process of electing interim and permanent representatives and officers. I anticipate that attendance at the September 28 meeting will be high, so please plan to arrive early to complete the check in (photo ID—driver’s license or passport) so the meeting can begin promptly at noon.

Please RSVP for the meeting. Providing an RSVP in no way is a requirement to attend, but serves as logistical guidance to help the ALPA staff provide a headcount to the hotel for lunches and gives a better idea for the number of preprinted ballots that may be needed for each election step.

Lastly, it is important to remember that in the time prior to this meeting, should you have any representational needs to contact the UAL MEC Grievance Committee or Legal Department for assistance.

In Unity,

Capt. SS (Name & phone number & email removed per APC policy)
Temporary Local Council 5 Chair
XXX XXX XXXX