View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 08:57 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Some issues:

1. The AME CANNOT ISSUE. This is not a situational depression or adjustment disorder with depressed mood of six months or less duration. This is a diagnosed Major Depression. It will HAVE to to go to OKC. The AME doesn’t have the authority to issue.

2. The individual has been on three different drugs and failed two of them and is still on the third and seeing a clinical Psychologist. If symptoms or treatment extends beyond 6 months, even a situational depression or adjustment disorder would still have to go to OKC. A SI WILL BE NEEDED, either permitting him to continue on an acceptable antidepressant or only after a period of being off his current medications without relapse.

3. I’m not saying he even needed to be on the meds for 3+ years, but that doesn’t matter. It’s like the legions of kids who never needed to be on Ritalin to begin with, and never did have ADD. Once the diagnosis has been put on them, the FAA will make them jump through hoops before they can hold a physical.

not saying it can’t be done, just that it won’t be quick, won’t be cheap, and there is no guarantee of approval.
I never said an AME can issue it.

An SI doesn't really matter either way since few airlines would deny you for that anymore, and I'm not even sure they legally can. Worst case an SI would probably be a nuisance if it had a 3 month duration or something like that.

What he was diagnosed with is one thing, that will have to be addressed with the FAA. What he described is a different animal, sounds like it might be one and done since he's made lifestyle changes.

But no way know for sure, just have to try and see what happens. I agree with others that a good consultant service is the place to start.

Also need to decide whether to try to get certified with meds (that's a permanent SI for sure), or ditch the meds, do the waiting period, and then try.