View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 08:22 AM
CFI2766
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by sealandair View Post
I disagree that making criticisms of the FAA are central to my commentary. I think you're misinterpreting what I say as having an irresponsible and deviant attitude towards the FAA and perhaps flying safety, and my bet is with authority in general. You would be wrong to think that way, as I've never had any issues with the FAA, the law, or in my career, other than a single failed checkride for a GPS approach (which interestingly enough the POI placed partial blame on the training department for). I've always taken flying seriously, and hopefully my efforts to return honestly rather than try to cover it reflect that.

That being said, some of the FAAs procedures are outdated and obsolete, which is important for people to know. I'm not talking about circumventing the FAA at all. If my lowly help-from-experience advice is insufficient for you, here's an opinion from an FAA Senior AME:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...and-depression

I still don't know where you're getting the idea that I think I know more than doctors and now the FAA, this just isn't true. Unless you're a doc or the latter, is it possible I might know a few more details about cases like mine than you?

"You may note that the FAA uses external psychologists to perform an evaluation, and then uses the report and recommendation of that psychologist......"

Thank you for that. Yes, they will use reports from my psychologist. Did you know that they will also require a board-certified psychiatrist visit (at least one) and use his/her report in the case file too? I brought up psychiatrists and psychologists in a previous post, which you must have counted, since some people don't know what the difference is, and it's critical to know for any other airman going through this.

As I feel this is turning into an argument and that's not what I'm here to do, I think I'll let you vent if you wish, come back in awhile and see if anyone else chips in with questions or advice. I've gotten some great ones so far.
Sealandair,

Don’t let some of these other hotheads get to you. Some proclaim themselves as know-it-alls and feel they need to act condescending as if they are somehow a higher being. They forget this forum is for helping others, not condemning those seeking help for their own amusement. Unfortunately there are plenty of these types in this career, the trick is to not GAF, ignore or say, “ok boomer”.

Btw I think you will be fine and if they need more info for your certification they will tell you. It may take some time but stick to it. Best luck