View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Bubba
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Crew Lounge Recliner

I was flying out of Hamilton, Ontario (CYHM) the other night and when I called for my clearance, the response was a full route clearance with no heads up…. “Cleared to destination airport via the Hamilton Bazillion departure yadda, yadda, yadda…” Even with my pen at hand, I wasn’t ready for the gyrations, from them damn “Yankees”, eh? My response was basically, “Tower, you hear how I talk; well that’s how I listen!” I got my clearance on the second read back, but the fact is in down in the lower 48, there are a lot of new controllers that don’t know nothing about “chunking”, that is breaking clearances down into bite size, digestible pieces, i.e. " cleared direct to ELDEE. (Period, I get a chance to Roger) Cross ELDEE at and maintain one one thousand and a bazillion knots (Again, my chance to roger). I think that there are lots of new controllers out there that have never been inside the cockpit of an noisy aircraft, bounced around at night, and their clearance is something like “turn 20 degrees left, cleared direct to BUMFK, cross BUMFK at one two thousand and two one zero knots if unable advise, information ZULU is current, advise you have ZULU and say your mother’s maiden name”. My point is, you need to remind ATC that you can tell me once, or five times until I get it right. Slow down! You want it done right, or do you want it done fast? “BLOCKED” “SAY AGAIN?” “Hey you, was that for me?” Thank god for TCAS and I hope things get better on the ground. Remember, if you ever ask Center or Approach to say their ride conditions, it’s always SMOOTH!